Message from me:
I am very excited to have you in my class this year and I’m sure you are ready for a busy year in 6th grade! I hope you have had a wonderful summer and I can’t wait to meet you. We have a very eccentric year ahead due to the untraditional start of this school year. However, before we start, here are a few things about me: My name is Mrs. Phelps and I are fairly new to Charlotte. I am from Virginia and married with three children. I have been teaching middle school for four years and absolutely love what I do. I have taught 3rd, 6th, 7th and 8th grades. Below you will find the Course description for our class.
Sixth grade students will use oral language, written language, and media and technology for expressive, informational, argumentative, critical, and literary purposes. They also explore the structure of language and study grammatical rules in order to speak and write effectively. While emphasis in the sixth grade is placed on personal expression, students should also:
· Interpret and synthesize information.
· Develop an understanding of the foundations of an argument.
· Recognize individual perspectives in response to personal, social, cultural, and historical issues.
· Critically analyze print and non-print texts.
· Use effective sentence construction and edit writing for improvements.
· Interpret and evaluate a wide range of literary and informational texts.
This quarter, we are reading a historiacal fiction novel entitled, Bud, Not Buddy. Although this is my first time reading this novel, it is never too late to read a good book! I am so excited to be your teacher and I look forward to meeting you. Please feel free to contact me for any additional questions!