8th - ELASpencer.Cordelia@thesugarcreek.org
Welcome back Wildcats! My name is Ms. Spencer, and I am pleased to be back at Sugar Creek for another school year teaching 8th grade ELA. Originally from New York, I received my B.A. and M.A. from Adelphi University in English/Secondary Education. This will be my 2nd year at Sugar Creek, and my 8th year teaching. I look forward to another amazing school year and am so excited to be back!
Eighth grade students will use oral language, written language, and media and technology for expressive, informational, argumentative, critical, and literary purposes. They continue to refine their study of language and grammar in order to speak and write effectively.
While emphasis in the eighth grade is placed on using information for a specific task, students should also:
- Interpret, analyze, and synthesize information form a variety of texts.
- Expand argumentation to refine the use of counterclaims.
- Elaborate and support individual perspectives in response to personal, social, cultural, and historical issues.
- Critically analyze print and non-print texts.
- Use effective sentence construction and edit for improvements in sentence formation, usage, mechanics, and spelling.
- Interpret and evaluate a wide range of literary and informational texts